Pages

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Happy St. David's Day!



Happy St. David's Day!

St. David (Dewi Sant, in the Welsh language)

He lived during the 6th century, and is the Patron Saint of Wales.  Today is his feast day. 

Welsh natives celebrate this day in many ways. 
My favorite is that the women wear daffodils and the men wear leeks on their lapels. 


St. David's Cathedral in Pembrokeshire, Wales

Photo courtesy of Wikipedia.
(because the last time I was there was in my pre-digital camera days,
and I have not scanned those photos yet!)

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm...leeks on their lapels? I certainly prefer the women's option!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jacqi, I agree! Although now thinking about it, I've never seen anyone with an actual leek on their lapel!

    We just returned yesterday from a week in Wales for my father-in-law's birthday. We arrived on St. David's Day, and we were greeted at the airport by my brother-in-law. He had miniature daffodils for us, about 4 inches tall. He grew them in his garden. I'd never seen this mini-version before, they were adorable!

    ReplyDelete