Pages

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Shopping Saturday - The Local Market


A variety of mushrooms. 
Prices are in Polish Zloty.
When traveling, I always enjoying checking out the local markets. 

A few years ago, when in Krakow, Poland, hubby and I visited this huge market. 

You know that old saying, "Everything but the kitchen sink," well, I wonder if there wasn't even a kitchen sink for sale somewhere. 

Even though we saw no sink, I did get a big surprise as we were leaving...


The meat counter.


The market has all types of food,
including produce,
meats,
eggs,
cheeses,
spices,
and so much more!






Colorful peppers and other produce.
The market was probably more than 200 stalls.  We wandered for hours taking it all in. 

We saw toys of all descriptions; leather goods like jackets and shoes; clothing for all ages, including school uniforms; tires, batteries, tools, every type of household good or need; and much, much more!

I was snapping pictures in every direction and soaking in the feel of life as a Krakow native. 

At almost every turn, I imagined my Polish ancestors visiting similar markets for the groceries and goods they did not grow themselves.

Baltic Black Marketeers???

Finally, as we were leaving the market, I was more than surprised to see a woman on the sidewalk, arms draped in bras.  Others were selling sleepwear and undies.  As I prepared to snap the picture, they all turned their backs to me. 

Hubby and I laughed as we wondered aloud, could there be a lingerie black market in Krakow???


Oh, those stoic Polish, the secrets they may hide!



 

1 comment:

  1. I had to smile, Jenny, when you wrote "oh, those stoic Polish" after they turned their backs on your clicking camera. I've always assumed that was owing to the communist background of these countries' citizens--how secretive one must learn to be in a repressive milieu...but then I remember how my cousins and I never even KNEW we had Polish roots until, as adults, we stumbled upon well-hidden clues among the stuff passed down by our grandparents! And they were among those coming to the US in the 1880s. Some habits have generations-long roots!

    ReplyDelete